7.31.2008

Ode to Squeak

Photobucket

Sour seated, off-green Squeak
Long loud nights held our laughter and joy.
Filled with forgotten papers and drained water bottles
You kept quiet through my embarrassingly off-key singing.
You held me tight when I hugged your wheel in tears.
You kept me straight when I flew down pavement in frenzy.
You growled along with my frustration,
And hold the soft memories of my friends’ silence.
Thousands of days,
And tens of thousands of miles,
Source of my delight and frustration.
Craisins and ugly pink stained unicorns,
Books, hammers, and discarded bras,
Sweat and scarves,
You’ve held it all.
Crossing many borders before you even came to me
Your life has not been in vain.
Chariot of my earliest years,
Hold tight reminiscences of any number,
And rest yourself now in automotive slumber.


This is it. I’m saying goodbye to Squeak, my 16 year old car. Too many troubles have plagued her for so long now, that we’re finally laying her to rest. Or as close to that as it may come. She’s moving on.

So, with that, I’d like you to see my new(er), shiny, red, Mercury Sable, Station Wagon! Photobucket
I absolutely love it.
A man at work sold him to me at a very nice price. He’s very roomy and much cleaner on the interior than Squeak was. Photobucket
Upon discovering a seat that folds up and faces backwards, my excitement escalated tenfold. I'm still trying to come up with a name for him.Photobucket
I can fit eight people in there with seat belts, though a couple should need to be rather thin to fit with extra elbow space.
I’ve got plenty of room to pack my school stuff in when I move. And speaking of such, I’m moving in on the 10th. Ack! It’s so soon. And it seems to me now that I am always reluctant to leave where I’m at. Once I’m at Monroe, I don’t want to go. Once I’m in Haughton, I don’t want to go. I miss my friends and family on both sides. I have gotten even closer to the people here than I thought I could this summer. I have absolutely loved working at the National Weather Service, and I plan on continuing to do so. Overall, this has been a fantastic summer. Still, school is school, and I will continue to be my nerdy self and be excited about taking new classes. A blessed beginning to everyone. ^_^

3 comments:

esunasoul said...

Upon reading the poem, my car Joe shed a tiny tear of 10W30.

Anonymous said...

mmm. craisins and the unicorn. great memories. i loveth thee!

Anonymous said...

sorry i'm posting of the third time. delete the others. :)